Submitted: 01-08-2000 by James

My second kayak in two years. I fell in love with it because of looks, stayed in love because of performance. The Greenland styling is not often found in plastic boats, it has great lines. It is extremely stable, tracks well, and paddles effortlessly. The bulkheads are spacious enough for all your camping gear and the day hatch is great for snacks and a camera. Deck lines run the lenght of the boat, nice for rescues. Plenty of room in the cockpit. Only 15' long but handles like at 17'. There are faster boats but if you aren't addicted to speed she will do fine. Easily cartoped by two people, managable by one. The deck rises rather high directly in front of the cockpit. This helps shed water but I felt that I had to improve thigh contact by adding closed-cell foam to the inside of the boat. I also added hip pads for a snug fit. Cockpit is easy to enter and exit. Don't bother paying for a rudder, it is not needed and I think the boat looks better without one. The boat has a soft chine. My only real complaint is the deck hatches. They are actually a little cheap compare to what is advertised on the web and in print. But if you snug them down well enough they will do the trick. The Epic's flush deck hatch is a much better design. My stern hatch has been known to leak a little on occasion. In general, a great boat for most conditions. If this boat was around when I purchase my first one I would have saved a lot of money.