Submitted: 06-20-2005 by BCcanoeist

I promised to report back on seaworthiness. Much of my paddling is in "kayak" waters off Vancouver Island and in the nearby Gulf Islands of British Columbia. I had paddled to a marine park on a smaller island and watched a group of kayakers land. They all seemed soaking wet even under their spray skirts and appeared to have had a rough time of it. I began to feel a little sheepish about being out in my open canoe. On the way back to my put-in I had following seas of estimated 2 to 3 feet height, trough to crest. Winds were probably 15+ mph because occasional white caps topped the crests. With waves on the quarter it took a strong stroke on the windward, wave side to keep the boat aligned. But with that stroke it surfed ahead with gratifying speed. I did revert to the old kneeling position to lower my centre of gravity during the worst of this crossing. When I landed and hauled the Voyager up on the beach I noted that my clothing was completely dry and although the stem and stern had been deeply immersed at some points, we had not shipped a drop of water. Mighty reassuring performance in real salt water conditions for a "lake boat".