Submitted: 06-20-2005 by jayfwms
After a year with the Talon Side-Loader I find it to be a compromise. Good Points: I added the accessory bars for Thule and have carried up to three kayaks on the bar. Lock pins and other safety features make for a very secure stand. It is easy to properly secure the kayaks in the down position. Bad points: another lateral bar is needed to keep the load stable when raising and lowering. The slide glides move, and I have to tap them forward with each load to put the lock pins in. I quickly discarded the Talon lock pins for safety-clip style hitch pins from Home Depot. The rack, side-loader and accessories are almost at the load limit of my factory rack before I add any kayaks. The complete rack is non-aerodynamic and whistles. Finally, I have to get under the loaded boat and use my legs in a weight-lifter style lift to get the 70 pound boat up to slide across. The system works well with my 30 pound surf ski, but I don't need any help to lift it on top of the van.