Submitted: 06-20-2005 by chris

I bought this paddle as a back-up for my IK since it is a two-piece. I used it a bit and believed that it was good paddle for the money (I paid $100). However I recently snapped the blade off of the paddle where it meets the shaft. I have never heard of this happening and it did not hit a rock. After looking at severed paddle I realized it had a manufacturing defect (an air pocket/void in the plastic of the paddle where it meets the shaft). This would be a good paddle if there was no defect (I would give it a 10/10). I feel fortunate that this didn't happen while I was in some of the bigger technical rapids earlier in the run - it could have been pretty serious. Cannon was great in that they sent a free replacement paddle and have corrected this rare problem in the manufacturing process. I would definitely still recommend this paddle as long as it is a new model (I think mine was a 2004).