Submitted: 06-20-2005 by TC

I bought a Royalex Explorer about a year ago. When I bought it I went on reputation only and did not test paddle the boat. Big mistake! When I loaded it with two people and some gear the boat seemed to have a lot of flex in the bottom. Too much flex! I used it a few times and based on experience determined that the flexing was more severe than should be expected, even for a Royalex boat. I contacted Confluence and the dealer, Jersey Paddler, who told me to bring the boat back to exchange for another boat. Turns out that the dealer had had just this same problem with an Explorer at a test paddle years ago. No hassle, I brought the boat back, unloaded it and loaded up a new one.

I didn't test paddle the new boat either figuring what are the chances of getting struck by lightning twice? Since the exchange I have used the new boat and it is everything I expected. Great handling from the rear seat. Nice glide for a heavy boat and very stable. For anyone considering any Royalex boat I recommend that you test paddle the boat before you go home with it. My understanding is that what happened with my boat could happen to any Royalex boat. In my case both the manufacturer and the dealer stepped to the plate and solved the problem quickly. I am a happy customer and user of this canoe.