Submitted: 01-06-2000 by PMH

I own a p&h capella poly of which I am pleased with so this is the boat I will compare in my judgement with the magellan. I do like the magellan. its a confident boat in rough seas and lies higher in the water than the capella. it takes all the luggage i need and has an ok deck layout. The shock cords were pretty poor and didnt feel tight when pulled so they were exchanged for some better cords. Nice and roomey cockpit although the nuts/bolts under the deck that secure the recessed shock-cord holders can scratch your legs ouch!. Nice strong deck. The midsection on bottom of the boat under your knees reminds me of the dagger canoes. It warps upward and does at times get a small inward bulge even after having landed carefully on a beach. Some warm water and left to cool for a few hrs and she is back in shape. The boat in light condition does weather cock however is simple to straighten back in line due to the rockered bow. I feel the boat does need a skeg that can be deployed as a rudder but does not need a rudder as such. keeps up with bigger longer glass boats and tackles big waves rough conditions well. The bow doesnt spray either. cosy seat and smart 'see-thru' bulkheads. Hatches are almost 99% water resist. Another good feature is she can be rigged like a whaitewater boat with the same padding as the ww dager boats (if you like a snugger fit for sufing etc..) overall a good sea kayak.