Submitted: 06-15-2005 by paddleflyfish

In response to the last review, I installed a bulkhead because I wanted the dry storage space and flotation but it means I can't store a long object like a rod case in the cockpit. I used 4" closed cell foam to cut out the bulkhead (bought it from a local canoe and kayak supply store) and glued it in place with Lexel sealant. I made a template of the outside of the kayak at the point I wanted to install the bulkhead using cardboard from a large box. I cut out the foam with my bandsaw (carefully - it can bind), tried it for fit and then kept shaving bits off until it was a firm push fit. You have to chamfer the edges to fit the shape of the boat. When it was in place I ran a bead of Lexel around both sides to seal it and hold it in place. The result looks exactly like the factory fitted rear bulkhead. I would have contacted W.S. directly but they don't have any contact info on their web site the last time I checked. It would have been a lot easier with a factory cut bulkhead or template. How about it, Wilderness Systems? I note that the W.S. website and their print catalogue say that the "Fisherman" version of the Pungo has front and rear bulkheads but when I asked my dealer about this they told me that W.S. told them this was not the case. Beats me!