Submitted: 06-12-2005 by mvskayaker

I've had my kevlar ultra-light Itasca for about a year now, and am very pleased with it. It has front & rear sliding seats with all wood trim. I have taken it on camping trips with a week's worth of gear and 2 paddlers over 200 pounds each on a large lake with wind driven waves. It performs flawlessly. I occasionally use a 30 pound thrust electric trolling motor with no problems. I have taken it out on day paddles with my family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children, 1 dog) but haven't family camped with it yet. I'll update this post when I have. I find the boat to have good speed and turns nicely providing it's trimmed properly. The sliding seat option facilitates this vastly.

We had originally test paddled a Minnesota II at a local dealer who recommended the boat to us based on our needs. I had purchased it after paddling it on calm water unloaded with 2 paddlers. We were assured it would be good for our family of 5 + gear. It was a grave error and I contacted We-no-nah who recommended the Itasca. They took the Minnesota back and we bought the Itasca. I can't say enough about We-no-nah's customer service. Finding a manufacturer that stands behind its product is an important buying consideration. If you're looking for a craft capable of large loads, with good speed and predictable manners, then the Itasca is for you.