Submitted: 06-09-2005 by kwikle
Superior Carbon Fiber Greenland Paddle. It is very stiff and very buoyant, the blade width is probably just a hair wider than I like for my hand when I use a home carved paddle. It is as reported very light. I've put in quite a few miles with it so far and really like how the paddle reacts in the water to rudders and draws. I also think the sprint speed is a bit better with this paddle than say with a hand carved western red cedar paddle. It is really only slightly lighter than a light WRC paddle though.

The cons on this paddle are obvious, the carbon fiber is too slippery. My hand has slipped off a few times underwater when trying to roll. I've corrected this with paddle wax which makes the whole paddle tacky and sticky to the touch. I may also add some reflective tapes to the tips to make the black paddle stick out a bit more and also to protect the tips from the many rocks I am bound to find. I wish that superior could do a bit more for custom sizing, I understand it comes from a mold so it is limiting, but it would be nice to be able to get a slightly longer loom with out lengthening the over all paddle, and also to narrow the blade a bit for those of us with small hands. But nothing is perfect. I think my speed and acceleration with this paddle is better, but time will tell.