Submitted: 06-08-2005 by kayakpacker

I bought my Foldlite from their web site. I do a lot of backpacking and wanted the lightest folding kayak I could find. The fact that this one had a rigid hull and no blow up flotation intrigued me. It also was inexpensive. They also say that they are coming out with a kit so that you could make into a single or a tandem. That is what actually sold me. The hull material is the corrugated plastic stuff that they make signs out of, and is surprisingly durable. The cover is made of polyester and fits nicely. The cover is what keeps the water out.

Overall I was impressed by the quality of design and part quality. The instruction manual was extensive to say the least. I scanned it but mostly just put it together without reference to the manual. Once you get the idea each section goes together pretty much the same way. I assembled it the first time in my apt. and it took about 35 minutes. It disassembled in about 10. Most of time was spent screwing the nylon bolts and wing nuts that hold the hull to the ribs. Now that I have done it a couple of times and can do it in less than 30. It tracks reasonably well given its length, actually better than my molded hard shell.

It is fun little boat and perfect for what I needed. I live in an apt., I have no space and I like to get out and go hiking on the weekends, now I hike to places where I can paddle.

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: