Submitted: 06-02-2005 by DJC
I just want to update a review I did earlier on this model. I bought it in November last year without first trying different boats. This year, I've had the opportunity to borrow and demo a good number of boats in the $300-$600 range including the Pungo 100. I believe I still made a good choice with the Pamlico 100.

First, this boat has outstanding initial stability and is still quite stable to the point where the cockpit starts to flood. The cockpit is very large and the coaming is very strong so anyone can get in and out of it. This boat would be very good for fishing or bringing along the dog. The wide, flat bottom hull enables it to go in very shallow water and it's easy to go through eddys. There are two tracking channels along the length of the hull and the bow and stern have good entry and exit. As far as speed goes, I found it to be faster than the Dirigo 106 and Otter, slightly more than the Zydeco and just a little slower than the Pungo 100. Tracking is okay; not as good as the Pungo, but the Pam turns quicker. Still, it can be kept on course with good paddling technique. Mine has the basic plastic molded seat; the Phase 3 seat is a lot better. Still, the basic seat can be padded to make it easier to live with and save a few $$$.

The boat does well on lakes and rivers with up to class II rapids. It handles choppy water and swells very good, too. For more open water I'd recommend getting a spray skirt and make sure you can get back in without flooding the cockpit. Overall a very good boat and just plain fun to paddle.