Submitted: 06-02-2005 by TomM

We got the 2.2 sq meter size sail for our 21' Chesapeake Lightcraft triple kayak, drilled a couple of holes to accommodate the simple rigging...and we took off to a new dimension in kayaking. With a good 20-30+ kt crosswind-turned-tailwind we covered 57 miles measured by buoys in a day down the NC Intracoastal Waterway...like a toboggan shooting down a mountain! Still, it was stable and safe-feeling...and fun! No all-day pulling water with a paddle. Without a rudder it would be tough, but with it, it is like controlling a go-kart. Lighter air days are a dream - all you need it the breeze coming from a little behind...not directly on the beam or ahead - otherwise it is back to the ol' trusty paddle. My paddle has more than 2000 miles on it, but I'm now a BIG FAN of the sail system. The lines and rigging allow for a bigger sail = more speed and makes the sail more controllable.