Submitted: 05-31-2005 by RM

I bought the Victory Blast at a local Dick’s Sporting Goods for $199. Being a brand new paddler, I wasn’t sure what to expect. In my excitement to get out on the water I launched into the Great Miami River (Ohio) on a slightly overcast day. I no sooner hit the water and a storm blew in. I quickly found myself in a driving rainstorm on a river that swells quickly and can be dangerous. The kayak was fantastic though. It was extremely stable and tracked straight through the water even with my poor paddling technique. Not once did I feel any danger.

I’m fairly large 6’0” 245 lbs but this kayak performed great. The foot pegs and back rest help tremendously.

The very next morning I took it out on the same river. The skies were clear blue but the wind was howling. This kayak cut right through the waves though with no problem. I got a little wet, but it is a water sport, right? Its speed, stability and maneuverability easily warrant a 9 out of 10 rating. The only drawback to this kayak is that it lacks a drain plug. You can easily buy one and make your own though.

If you are looking to give kayaking a try at a low cost, the Victory Blast is a GREAT choice…very stable and easy to steer but yet still has adequate speed.

Kayalu: