Submitted: 05-26-2005 by jeffh129

I've had my Sundance for a year. It's the "poly" version, I didn't want to spend the extra bucks for the Airlite model. I live very close, within ten minutes of several lakes and rivers. I must have used it three dozen times last year.

I'm a beginner, but this kayak has met and exceeded my expectations. As I fish out of my kayak I needed one with a LARGE cockpit. The only other kayak with a cockpit approaching this size are the W/S Pungo and Pamlico. On the Sundance there is plenty of room for two rods. I especially like that I am able to store the rods on each side of the seat. You have room to slide them down between the seat and the side of the hull. This is not possible on other kayaks that I researched.

The rear hatch is standard size and large enough to accommodate my set of kayak wheels. There is nothing better than wheeling your yak to the launch site, removing the wheels from the yak, stowing them on the yak and paddling away.

The Sundance is extremely stable. In shallow water I rocked back and forth sideways, vigorously, and didn't tip. (I'm sure of course that it can be tipped with enough effort) Both the primary and secondary stability are wonderful.

It paddles well, tracks well. Let's be honest, it is a "rec" yak, so it's not sleek. It's certainly not as efficient as a high end sea kayak. Still it paddles well for a yak in the "rec" class.

I love the "air bladder" arrangement on the seat back. There is a squeezable bulb which allows you to add air to the seat back to give you varying degrees of lumbar support. When I bought the yak, I thought this was a "gimmick," but it actually works rather well. You can also adjust the angle of the seat back.

The seat base could use some work. I've had to add a gel filled pad to alleviate some butt pain. Still, noting how many after market products there are for enhancing seating comfort, it's apparent that this problem is not limited to Perception seats. Seems to be pretty much an industry wide problem.

So all and all I am very satisfied with this kayak. I did a lot of research prior to buying it, but I also think I was blessed with "beginners luck." I like it so much that I'm considering purchasing a second one so that I'm able to take family and friends paddling with me.

Botetourt County Tourism: