Submitted: 05-25-2005 by Mark

The Pamlico 145 is the ideal boat for the kayaker who frequently paddles alone, but wants the flexibility to take along the spouse or one of the kids. I have a plastic boat, equipped with a rudder and the Phase 3 seats. It is easy to configure the seats for solo or tandem use. Same with the rudder. I use the boat most often as a solo on the lower Connecticut and its side creeks. It tracks so well with or without the rudder that I can keep up with an experienced friend in a sleek, 16-foot wooden boat. In calm water, the boat paddles so easily that I've handed my wife a glass of wine instead of a paddle. On a three-hour trip down the Farmington a few weeks ago, the going was so easy I didn't mind that my 12-year daughter (5-foot-4, 120 pounds) did more sightseeing than paddling. If you are looking for a good, versatile boat, I'd give this one a try.