Submitted: 05-24-2005 by Ed

My wife and I bought two used boats last spring(2004), I believe the one boat is a 2002, and the other is a 2003. The 2002 seems to have a thinner hull since it oil cans when strapped to our car roof rack much quicker than the 2003. But the 2002 also seems to be a bit lighter, however Iíve not actually weight either one.

We bought these boats to take on our extended cruise on our big boat. Our priorities were; Cost, weight, length, stability, and load capacity.

Cost, we bought them both used from Patuxent Adventure Center in Solomonís Island MD. I donít have the exact cost but Iím pretty certain we walked out the door for under a grand. That included the two boats, new Wave paddles, and a bilge pump. All in all I was very happy with the transaction.

Weight, I would always like something lighter, but lighter costs dollars. And at this stage dollars are more important. I can put them on the roof solo but itís a lot easier with two.

Length, I would have liked a longer boat. But storage on our big boat limited us to about 15í. The boat tracks well and neither of us has wished for a rudder.

Stability, I would have liked a narrower boat. But we needed to board these from our big boat so these are a nice compromise. We both enter the boats from our swim ladder without problem. If fact we had some true novices board them from the swim ladder. Now that Iíve gotten used to these boats, I like the stability very much.

Load capacity, I canít really comment on this yet. We have only taken half-day trips so far.

Every boat, big and small is a compromise. Iím happy with these as, non-extreme, general-purpose boats. But only time will tell if they are as much fun on our cruise. I only give then a 7 in order to resist the grade inflation that seems to be present on this site.