Submitted: 05-24-2005 by kheyashunka

Got the 2005 year model Khatsalano in February. Compared to the Kahuna putting it together seemed longish, but since I've only done it once, it doesn't count. My 5th kayak I wanted a boat that emulated greenland style paddling, and I've only paddled it with a GP. I bought direct from factory along with the FC brand GP. It is all black, and of note in the all black version the deck fabric is the same as the hull fabric. Full compliment of float bags, comes with two, purchased two additional as options. I also optioned the "rolling rib" that allows easier layback on reardeck. It has sponsons that are optional to inflate depending on the chine shape desired. I inflated them on initial paddle ventures, but now I do not.

Words like pri/sec stability used to elude me in my paddling. I can now envision an unorchestrated capsize, though I havenít experienced one yet. The boat is tippy at rest, in motion its pri is good. Sec stability is now becoming part of my vocab. And after several hours of roll sessions, I have discovered the flat deck adds a unique tertiary stability phenomenon that was a little disquieting at first if I was searching for the surface on the side that was cocked toward the bottom. I sometimes have to reach up and pull the yak completely upside down, it will float indefinitely in the tertiary position.

The boat initially seemed very snug, I'm 185lb 6', but after 3 months and becoming accustomed to its fit, I wish it was a little tighter. I have to readjust my position after most roll maneuvers. I will pull the inflatable hip pads from my Kahuna and see if I can make the fit tighter.

The boat is a dream on the water, I'm 51 and not in hurry to get anywhere, but the speed is effortless to reach and maintain. I was surprised by the greenland paddle, I intuitively modified my stroke style and after a little research discovered that what felt natural to do with the G stick, is the methodology developed by the greenlanders. Rolling with a GP was the real surprise. Voila!

The boat weathercocks as do all my boats. I like how a GP allows management of that, and I also have the strap on skeg. I have not loaded the boat with gear as of this date. I do like kayak expedition/camping though as one of my favorite kayak pastimes. Looking forward to qajag tc 2005.