Submitted: 05-19-2005 by kayakwa

First of all this boat is a pleasure to look at, beautiful graceful lines with the low rear deck and high front deck. I also am a fan of the "plastic" boats, and would worry too much about my precious glass being scratched or cracked if I paddled a glass boat (that and the price tags on glass boats are a little out of my league). I got my brand new Blue Cape Horn 17 off of ebay at a killer deal $800.00 for the boat and rudder system from an outfitter in Wyoming, (brand new, and they even delivered) in December and have loved this boat. Just took it back up to my homeland (South Puget Sound) for a mini-trip and this boat is fun to paddle, haven't had the boat out in the ocean but soon, Kokatat drysuit is on its way and then I'll learn how to roll this boat, shouldn't be a problem, soon as I get the drysuit and learn the roll I'll write some feedback. On to the judgement!
  1. SEAT--Best, most comfortable seat on the market!! Hands down a perfect 10
  2. HULL--Getting used to the secondary stability, its there though, good thick plastic on the rotomold with good seam.
  3. DECK/RIGGING/HATCHES--Hatches could be a tad larger, don't like how hatch covers slip under the clips
  4. RUDDER--great rudder system, just as good as perception's rudder system, smooth, easy, well-made.
I'm 6'1" 220lbs and the boat is a nice fit with a little room left over. Fun boat, ocean-capable, can't wait to roll it.