Submitted: 05-17-2005 by lyons42

I've been paddling the America 13.5 for about a month now. I can't add much new information since just about everything about this kayak has been covered at least twice. I'm a big fella, I'm 6'5" 300#'s.

There's not a huge selection of boats for people my size but I found a few and paddled them. I tried the Pungo 120 but didn't really care for it on choppy water. The Pungo 140 handled the chop and tracked better then the 120 but I didnít care much for the seat and the hull design since I'd be using this kayak in shallow rivers. I only sat in the Sundance 12 and it was nice but once I sat in the America 13.5 and paddled it I knew this was the boat for me.

The America 13.5 has plenty of leg room for me and the cockpit is big enough to stretch when I have to. The seat back adjusts and since I have a bad back I usually adjust it once or twice during a trip. I'm not able to sit still for long because of my back but I can stay on the water for three to four hours easily in the America 13.5 and that's saying something.

This boat tracks real well and is very stable. I've had it in class 1+ so far and it didnít have me worried at all. I've had the America out in one foot chop and I never felt like I was going for a swim. One thing you do want to get is a spray skirt if you plan on doing any white water since the cockpit is fairly large. Bottom line is that I love this kayak and for me it was the best choice out of the boats made for big boys. I'll post an update once I take the America through some class II.