Submitted: 05-16-2005 by pgwilli

After being backordered for over a month, I received my new Thule Hullavator side loading system. It came with a DVD manual that does a great job of showing the installation and operation of the unit. After watching the DVD, it took about 20 minutes to install on my Subaru Outback.

The unit swings down to the side of the car and you load your boat into modified J cradles. The unit then helps you lift the boat, still vertical, with gas assist struts. Once the unit is at roof level, you ease the boat down to level and attach the bow and stern lines. I added straps around the load bars as well.

The unit makes loading our 95-pound double a breeze very easy to lift and control. I probably wonít bother using it for our singles.

Although it is expensive at $379, my girlfriend and I are not very tall and not getting any younger. Thatís cheap compared to bodywork on the car or an injury from lifting the double over our heads and losing control.

Aqua-Bound: