Submitted: 05-12-2005 by mark w

I reviewed this boat back in November, and since then I discovered that the main reason I disliked this boat so much was that the example I paddled was a defective hull.

I'm not sure that this really lets Necky off the hook though, since they deliberately shipped us a boat they knew to be defective while charging us the regular price (hull serial # was noted with "blem"). After discovering this I went through all 12 of our new Necky boats from 2004 and discovered two Eskias with no serial # at all (!) and both were also defective although less seriously so than the Elaho HV. The Elaho was very crooked and had significant reverse rocker in the stern, which is what made it ride so low and turn so poorly. I also talked to another local guide here who also was sold a defective Necky boat in 2004.

Necky did replace the defective hulls but charged me shipping on the new boats. The customer service I got was pretty haphazard and took several calls and emails over the course of several weeks to get the job done. And that is how they treat an outfitter with 38 of their boats! So if you buy a Necky boat, look closely at it and its serial #, especially if it is from 2004. The replacement hulls we got look good, so maybe Necky is turning the corner on their Very Bad Year. Still, buyer beware!