Submitted: 05-11-2005 by bnznet
I don't know who BradBolz is on the other review here, but all I have to say is that he must be one mammoth guy! Don't get me wrong, I like my tri-yak. It is a good yak for its intended purpose. But at 75 pounds this is one heavy yak and paddling it solo or duo can be a chore. The weight definitely affects the speed (don't be expecting to win too many races with this one ;-) ). I paddled it across a sound (about 6 miles total) with one other person and by the end of the trip both of us were wiped. I'm no slacker either (run and workout daily), in great shape. The other drawback to this kayak is storage, very little internal and if you have three people paddling, not much room on top either. Get as light a paddle as possible for this one (my Onno's at 20 oz are excellent!), it will put a strain on the ol' joints.

Having said this let me get on to the positives about the tri-yak. Stability is excellent (primary and secondary), don't know if you'll find a more stable one. Tracking is good, nothing a few corrective strokes won't fix and this thing at over 14' maneuvers (without a rudder mind you) as well as my Tarpon 120 (12 footer).

This kayak is listed as a recreational kayak and it serves that purpose very well. I can tell a marked difference paddling it with three people (even if it is my 11 and 9 year old daughters with me) over just two of us (both adults). It shines in this area. I've even fished off it solo and duo with no probs. The seats with the pockets on the back are great, wish all other kayak companies would stand up and take notice about them. They are low enough to fit below any pfd's and still offer great lower back support and comfort for your buns.

If you want something recreational/leisure for day trips with room for three, get this yak. If you are looking for something more performance oriented (more speed and storage for longer trips), I don't think this is the kayak for you (I got my new T160i for this :-D ).