Submitted: 05-09-2005 by wildwaterc2

I love this boat - it is extremely versatile, has decent speed, is very efficient, and very forgiving.

I bought it to paddle with my then six month old daughter in July 2004. It is great with her in front - the low sides let her easily see over, and the partial cockpit keeps her more centered in the boat. The boat is extremely forgiving on stability, and I feel very confident with her in there, even now as she is 15 months and 25 lbs. We paddle mainly on the Chattahoochee near Roswell GA, for up to 4 hours at a stretch - a nap is often part of the trip, and we frequently go through the modest shoals/rapids of the metro Hooch.

For versatility, the boat is incredible. Besides flatwater, I've also paddled it on modest whitewater, up to what American Whitewater calls low III (e.g., Talking Rock Creek in GA). With the rudder up, maneuverability is good in rapids, and with it down you can make time on flatwater. The boat also surfs quite well on 1-2' waves (particularly fun with the rudder and no hands)

The fittings in this boat are not as nice as a Kruger - the seat and the rudder are cruder, but they work. The hull is solid and nicely finished.

The boat is not fast, but it moves well. As you push the speed up, the stern squats notably and you max out rapidly in the 5 mph range. I suspect the Kruger Seawind with its fuller stern would be a little quicker. The same hull shape that limits its top speed makes it incredibly efficient - the boat seemingly glides forever at modest speeds.