Submitted: 05-04-2005 by Tiogatires

I recently upgraded to the Dagger Catalyst 13.0 from the Liquid Logic, Saphire. An unbelievable difference. I'm not saying anything negative about the Saphire though. As a starter boat, it performed flawlessly. This is my second year kayaking and I was tired of struggling to keep up with my friends in longer boats, so hence the upgrade. Initial stability in the Catalyst 13.0 was good, keeping me feeling balanced and in control of the boat. The boat I have did not come with the skeg and the lack there-of was definitely noticed while paddling in slightly windy conditions. However, it did track fairly well in the lightest of winds and very well with no wind at all. I love the storage capacity and overall shape of the boat.

Well, I have to throw in a few not-so-negative downers. First, for spending almost $800.00 on the kayak I would have expected a company like Dagger/Perception to put just a little more thought into the comfort of the paddler. The seat and backband could be improved so easily with only slight (and welcomed) weight gain to the boat. I think it would be worth it (if you guys at Dagger/Perception are reading this anyway). I plan on modifying the seat/backband area at some point when I find a suitable replacement.

Also, I did feel a little loose in the kayak so I added a pair of thigh braces (your local Yak shop can order these from Perception, they fit the Dagger line perfectly). This was an easy upgrade and made me feel totally secure. It's still a glove like fit, but mucho betta’ anyway.

I hope this review helps someone. I am not all that experienced at kayaking as of yet, so I have to be fair about reviewing this boat. Anyway, I have to give it a 9 because kayaking manufactures (generally speaking of course) can't seem to figure out this whole seat thing. I wonder if they read these reviews?????? Have fun!!!!!!!

Vasa, Inc.: