Submitted: 05-02-2005 by Miamiboats

I think SOME of the respondents to this thread have got to get a grip. Yo... it ain't a serious kayak... it's a really well engineered and relatively inexpensive adult toy.

My wife and I do a lot of camping. We tow an old, small fiberglass travel trailer around the eastern US with a mid-sized pick-up and recently decided that getting out on the water at many of the places we frequent would be fun. A hard-sided canoe or kayak simply was not appropriate with the bikes in the bed and the sunroof on the cab. We're not kids anymore and have not kayaked previously so high-performance was clearly not a requirement. An inflatable seemed a logical choice. Much on-line research narrowed the list of choices considerably and the ultimate choice was more or less made for us by a dealer.

We now are the happy owners of TWO Dragonfly I's and not the tandem Innova Sunny that I had really intended to buy.

If you intend to use this craft to surf the breakers at Waimea Bay you're certifiable. If you think you're going ANYWHER in a hurry you're delusional. If what you want out of an easily portable and sublimely comfortable boat that will float you to the places that a hard-sided kayak will not and at a price that you don't have to sacrifice your kids' inheritance for.... the Dragonfly I is for you.

Does it track poorly? Yeah, I guess... but then mine only wobbles a lot when I try to exert myself and go fast. I have no experience with a "real" kayak, only powerboats and canoes. Will the Dragonfly get me where I want to go with out extraordinary effort? It has so far. If you know Miami, consider paddling from Virginia Key Beach around through Norris Cut to Jimbo's. My wife and I just did that last Sunday. We're both well past 50. Our much larger and somewhat younger sons (both college-aged) each fit in the Dragonfly and had a good time flitting about last weekend as well.

Is it stable? I flipped it intentionally and was able to get back in without looking TOO silly. Is it for large people. No. We're both less than 160 pounds (her - considerably less). Can you carry a lot of gear? Not hardly. Put the beer in a cooler and tow it. Is it fast? Dream on. Fast is for NASCAR. Does EVERYBODY ask you about it? Only everyone who sees it. Is it easy to carry, to unpack and inflate and to launch? Bet your lungs.

And if you're ever on US41 in Nokomis just south of Sarasota on Florida's left coast, stop in at A Silent Sports Outfitter and say hello to some of the nicest folks who ever honestly sold you a happy product. Mary talked me out of the higher priced (but more substantial) inflatable and into what has come to fit our needs like wings fit a dragonfly.