Submitted: 04-26-2005 by wjlatsha
I test paddled a kayak last Fall, and while doing this, the dealer asked me to try his Lendal paddle. It was the 4 piece Carbon Bent Shaft, with the Carbon Kinetik Touring Blades. I loved the paddle, but not the boat, so I "saved-up" all winter and bought a paddle as I just described, a couple weeks ago.

I really like this paddle, and I believe it is different than other paddles I have tried. The price was high, but I feel you get what you pay for. The blades catch the water as if you had stuck them into wet cement. When I pull on the shaft to complete the stroke, the blade feels firm, with no flutter and the kayak just goes forward! :)

I had been using a good wood 2 piece paddle, and this Lendal is so light I hardly know I am lifting it. I like the 4 piece design, with their PADLOCK locking system, as it gives me the solid feel of a one piece paddle, but can be taken apart in seconds, and blades or shafts changed for whatever different purpose I might have. I can have carbon blades for touring, and cheaper plastic blades for the local creek.

I have a 22.5" wide composite touring kayak, and I am a big guy (2XL T-Shirt). I got the 215cm length, and it is working out perfect for me, as I am a high angle paddler. The regular Kinetik Touring Blade size seems great for me too. I get a good solid feel, but still can paddle the distance I like to go. I do think the smaller Kinetic Touring "S" blades would be good for a small person, or one without a lot of paddling strength. The regular blades would be great for anyone else

The only reason I am giving this paddle a "9", instead of a "10", is for one small, maybe unimportant, issue. The shafts and blades are stuffed with white foam, like a Styrofoam cup material. It is just pushed into the paddle ends and shaft ends. When you paddle, it lets a little water in. It still floats, so this is really a small issue, but for the money it cost, I would have liked to see something done a little better to keep out all water.

If you are looking for a high quality paddle, and can spend a couple extra dollars, check this one out. If mine disappeared, I would buy another without any hesitation! Happy Paddling!