Submitted: 04-21-2005 by Randy Bryan

Hey, this is THE 'yak for someone like me. I mainly paddle in Lake Superior, and am a large dude...about 5'11 and 220#. Compared to most kayaks out there, this one allows a lot more room for my frame and height. Actually, it's like someone custom fitted a 'yak around my fat butt!

The Carolina (with rudder) has a feel of speed to it in the water...like it wants to cruise! The inflatable seat is awesome. It holds it air forever it seems, and adjusts whilst you're in the cockpit. The wider beam in the 'yak took some adjustment for me to roll adequately, but is a perfect platform for photography and the occasional fishing cast. Very, very stable.

I am lucky, the thigh pads off the rack fit me perfectly, although you can customize a bit here. Lots of room for overnights. The foot pedals are easily adjusted and work well even with my large feet. I'm pleased with the purchase and look for this to serve me a few years. At 60#, I can hoist it on the Yakima setup on my pickup without problems. Plastic is attractive if a little soft maybe.