Submitted: 04-20-2005 by robert schepens

Enlightened Kayaks has a very attractive entry in the 16 foot touring category. Made from Duralight, looking like a finely finished fiberglass craft, this sleek touring boat turns heads. The "fit and finish" are exceptional. Initial stability is good, secondary is excellent. I am 6'4" 205 lbs and find the craft more than adequate for my tall frame. The foot pedals that are for stability and also control steering for the optional rudder system have slots that would accommodate a person even taller than me. Size 12 feet are also not a problem on the pedals or inside. Storage is plentiful (and very dry) in latched forward and aft compartments. The seat is NASA-style foam that conforms to your anatomy which you will find more than comfy, and the seatback is highly adjustable. The deck rigging is well thought out and plentiful fore and aft. I have several yaks and use this one on inland lakes and rivers (Cuyahoga) and look forward to some trips on Lake Erie when the weather kicks up. It is responsive, quick and easy to maneuver. My skill level is not expert, but I am beyond a beginner.

The boat is capable of adding an outrigger system, which I do not have, but can see how it would not only fit perfectly into the deck design but would also be fun.

After having looked at just about all the available entries in the 16' touring category I chose Enlightened and am delighted that i did! The company owner, Mike, is extremely helpful and a true Gentleman. Look around as I did, then buy Enlightened.

For Northeastern Ohio buyers you can pick up your craft 45 minutes east of Cleveland at the manufacturing location. Oh yes, you can't beat the price of this fine craft!