Submitted: 04-20-2005 by Jeremy

I have owned my Tsunami 145 for a couple of months and I love it. The boat tracks like a dream and turns very well. I have mine outfitted with a Seal Line toe pilot system and smart track rudder, which in my opinion is the best rudder for the boat. I highly suggest it instead of the standard rudder for the same reasons the previous reviewer gave.

You can go hard on the pegs with no chance of the rudder falling off. The boat is well set up and has plenty of room for me (5'10/200 lbs) and the phase 3 seat is the most comfortable and easiest to adjust that I have ever used. You can lay the seat back or pull it forward, adjust the backrest height, and pull the sides up for side support all while sitting in the yak. I go on some pretty long trips and have never had any thing go to sleep yet.

The plastic used to make the boat is very tough as the river I frequently go to is full of tough debris just below the surface from the hurricanes last year. I constantly am powering over logs and getting jammed by submerged stumps and it doesn't even leave a mark on the hull.

Primary stability is good although it can be a challenge getting into the boat in some places, but you can lay the boat over all the way to the cockpit without feeling like you are going to go over. I like to lean way into turns and the boat is great for that. The thigh braces are great for supporting you when you are powering into tight turns. The boat turns very well and has ample speed even at a leisurely paddling rate.

I agree that the day hatch should be separated from the rear hatch but I usually put anything I need while I'm in the boat in a dry bag behind the seat. There is plenty of room there and it is easily accessible. I put my water bottles, sunglasses etc. on the deck under the bungees in front of me. I have had no problems with the hatch lids and they are water tight. You can even see them sink down when you put the boat in cold water and the air cools inside the compartments. If they are air tight, water is no problem.

Overall, no part of this kayak has gone unnoticed by W.S. Great, light boat that looks great and functions even better. I am constantly getting complements on it wherever I go. I love it and would highly recommend it to anyone for a great all purpose kayak.