Submitted: 04-20-2005 by sb57

This is the first kayak that I have ever owned, I have had a Grumman Eagle 17' since '95 and most of my adventures have revolved around the canoe experience. I am so glad that I finally ventured into the realm of the sea kayak...it has opened doors for me that could not be touched by my canoe. I live in the middle of a large chain of lakes in Central Florida and I have been able to get out and paddle on waters and in winds that I could not do alone in the 17' eagle. This kayak handles very well, is agile and fast and can handle my weight and more (6'4" 235 lbs). I have done some river runs, circumnavigated Key Biscayne with ease and, as mentioned previously, paddled the Harris Chain near my home in Lake County, Florida. (1-1/2 foot chop with strong north winds-very fun).

As a first kayak I am very happy with its performance in maneuverability, speed, stability and comfort. I will be taking extended trips in the future and have every confidence that I will have the ability to stay out for a few days on end with ease. I read the review of the Dagger Specter 15.5 airlite and I would assume this boat is not far off from the slightly larger and more expensive model, although I do not feel as if I have had any complaints or problems with the rotomolded plastic and neoprene hatch covers...even though its easier to pull a cerveza from a dual density hatch cover. I would recommend this boat for anyone...especially for the price.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: