Submitted: 04-13-2005 by TDH

I purchased a plastic Wave Witch 3 years ago and love it. I have to qualify that I instantly went out and added a set of wings used for OC-1's to the nose to correct its love of Pearl Jam (that's where the boat pearls and jams you into the bottom). I regularly surf the La Jolla shores and it is a great fast boat that lets me run the caves, or carve the waves. On a big day that is just right it is fast enough to catch the break on the reef that deposits you at scripts pier! I also use it on the bay in Newport and can keep up with sis who has one of Hobie’s pedal yaks. The only thing I have ever broken on the water was my leash. Oh yeah, they can do a great eskimo roll out the back side of a wave if you are getting closed out.

The only warning I would give anyone is that they are so fast that you can catch more than one wave in a set. And that tends to make the board surfers think there is one more reason to hate kayakers who are fast enough to get into any thing, take 1/10th the time to fight their way back on line in big surf and can reposition for the one that came out of no where. The bottom line is that you are so fast you are always in the wave before them. Just use good manners and wait your turn or surf the edges on crowded days. When that is not good enough for them just remind that angry 18 year old that swinging at a man holding a 6' staff is a life altering experience in humility. :)