Submitted: 12-16-1999 by Robert

Make no mistake, I love my Pintail. I just happen to think that the ratings are a little inflated on this site. Although you probably already know about this boat, let me give a quick description:

This composite boat has a 17'2"length, 22" beam, and 12" depth. The hull has a generous amount of rocker and has a retractable skeg to aid in tracking.

It has a decent amount of primary stability though it is not my first choice for a photography platform. The secondary stability is excellent. This has saved me when I have made some poor braces on occasion. What does this mean? Well, it is sometimes harder to relax in the boat, but this boat handles rough water beautifully.

Because of the rocker, you may yaw a bit when catching swells but you will not broach. Despite the boat's 17-foot length, I find the boat to be extremely maneuverable due in no small part to the rocker. However, the skeg is mandatory when trying to hold a straight line in rough water.

The interior finish is exemplary with no sharp edges from the deck hardware.

My only complaint is the small round VCP hatches. It is very difficult to fit anything through them. The large rear oval VCP hatch is fine though the skeg box takes up some room.

If you have any questions about this boat, e-mail me.