Submitted: 04-12-2005 by Chuck Haak

I have paddled my Solo 14 for about six years and I like it a whole bunch. I am a big guy at 225# but the boat serves me very well. I kneel almost all the time while paddling and always on moving water. I have used the boat for freestyle and touring on lakes and up to class 3 on rivers. I do not recommend it for class 3 and above, however. The gunnels are too low and it doesnít turn quickly enough in must do situations. I have banged up the R84 skin pretty badly, but that was under severe use ≠ rocks, trees, etc. It is a great boat for class 1 and 2 multi-day river trips. I have had it out in 30-40 mph winds and it handles as well as any other canoe I have seen. I donít know if Mohawk still uses the purple color, but it sure was pretty before I banged it up and faded it out. If you want to see what the Mohawk Solos can to in the way of freestyle, check out the Molina freestyle video.