Submitted: 04-04-2005 by Will123

I use this canoe different than many of the other reviews for the Sundowner. Wenonah sells this canoe under their racing section of their web page. I bought it for rec-racing, and this is no rec racing canoe. We own a lot of canoes and have been paddling/racing for years.

Overall we are disappointed in this canoe from a racing standpoint. Wenonah claims it is the fastest Royalex hull made. I don't think they told the boys at Old Town they were having a contest. In Class II or under waters where there are lots of rocks or shallow water we use the Sundowner and have been passed by quite a few Old Town Penobscots. The Sundowner has a lot of flex to its hull. Good for hitting things, but bad for speed. Wenonah should take this canoe out of the specialty racing catalog and put it back in the regular catalog as a general river tripping canoe. The Sundowner is a well designed canoe, that handles well, and fun to paddle. But if you are looking for paddling ease, and won't encounter shallow rivers a fiberglass or Kevlar canoe will perform much better.

Unless you want a Royalex Wenonah I think there are better options. If you are just getting into rec class racing don't be misjudged by Wenonah's write up on this canoe. It is not nearly as fast as they say, and you will probably be disappointed as any good designed fiberglass will be faster than you. If you want a rec class canoe the "Jensen" is the way to go. That is an awesome canoe.