Submitted: 04-01-2005 by DGW
I recently purchase a Current Designs fiberglass Solstice GT HV XL, while at this years Canoecopia, hosted by Rutabaga out of Madison Wisc. I think the boat is a wonderfully designed kayak, and fell in love with it. I unfortunately discovered a few problems after I purchased it. First, I found that where the rudder cables came out of the hull that the sealant was cracked, and the short cable sheaves were sliding out of the hull and along the cable. I called Rutabaga and they were very helpful in describing how to fix this. It didn't seam like a big problem.

Then when on nice spring day I decided to wash my new kayak and found a small area where the gelcoat was cracked. This was located just under the chine area under the seat. Other than the show room, I hadn't even sat in it yet. Now I am beginning to wonder just what I got myself into. I contacted Rutabaga again with my concern and desire to exchange this boat. To my surprise I received an e-mail from them saying to bring the boat down and that they would take a look at it, and they would try to find a boat to my liking. Which was nice, because I thought I was up the creek with out a paddle. However, I must admit and despite this I still believe that CD has a nice boat design. I still would like to own a Solstice. I'll be taking my kayak down this weekend and afterward will let everyone know how much CD stands behind their warranty.