Submitted: 03-29-2005 by seb

I've owned my Independence since 1991, and have put a *lot* of miles on her. I love this boat, pure and simple. This is a great solo tripping hull. With the MR spray cover installed and two weeks worth of gear she's been to Temagami, Killarney, La Verendrye, the French River, the Allagash, the Adirondacks, and Lake Superior. Tracks well, turns great if you're willing to lean the boat and carve the turn, handles waves abeam with the spray cover; the sharp ends makes waves from the rear quarters a bit squirrelly, and she wallows a bit in following seas (so pay attention to keep from broaching).

The boat is fast: I've run her in downriver and flatwater races, and when tripping with others can keep up with many (if not most) tandems. The low profile is good in wind. And she's a pretty hull to boot.