Submitted: 03-28-2005 by mensacyclist

This is an OK kayak as long as you are buying it for the right reasons. I didn't buy it to tour on. That would be absurd. I didn't buy it with thoughts of 6 mph - equally absurd. I added it to the fleet because I wanted a very short and light kayak that I could throw in the truck without hooking up the bed extender. I bought it A.) for quick convenient workouts of 1.5 hours or less and B.) as a second casual river boat for the rare occasion that the wife actually comes out with me.

PROS: light. Scupper holes work better than on any of my other kayaks. Tracks remarkably straight for a 9 footer. At 26 inches wide it is easy to paddle without grazing the fingers. (Most of it's competitors are 30" or wider) Very good initial stability. Hatch in cockpit for keys etc. Comfortable for people up to 6 feet. Great company support!!! I called to order side handles for it and the guy talked to me for about 20 minutes, answered questions and gave me a good deal on the stuff I needed.

CONS: Very slow. The bow tends to ride a little low with someone as tall as myself. Glides through the water as gracefully as a snow plow. Fat people will not fit in this cockpit, it's narrow (but thatís not the boats fault!) Fair secondary stability. Once it reaches a certain point, it's going over without a slap brace.

Buy it for the right reasons and this is a very good boat for the $$.

Ocean Rodeo Sports: