Submitted: 03-16-2005 by Joe F

For a couple of years I looked at kayaks from Current Designs. I thought that if they ever put together a boat that was narrow like the Slipstream with the capacity of the Gulfstream, they would have something special. When I first saw the Andromeda in the Spring of 2002, I placed my order. I've paddled the boat for three summers now, and it is still a thrill every time I get in it. The layup (kevlar) is first-rate, and the finish is perfect. The boat tracks very well, and the skeg is a real help for dealing with winds from the rear quarters.

I have had 14 very high quality canoes and kayaks over the years, and I've never had one I've enjoyed as much as the Andromeda. It is a versatile boat that's good at almost everything. It is a little low on storage capacity, but my wife and I are bicycle tourists and have very packable gear. We could swing a one week trip if we did not have to load a lot of cold weather gear.

I would not put a beginner in an Andromeda without teaching them a wet exit, but I think itís the kind of boat one can enjoy as their experience level grows.

I think Current Designs put together a winner with the Andromeda. Now, if I can only get them to drop that rudder off the Extreme....