Submitted: 03-15-2005 by JC

Great creek boat! It is easy to handle on Pennsylvania's twisty, narrow creeks as well as the Susquehanna River (very wide w/strong current) and thicker creeks like the Connodoginuet (similar in size to many other state's rivers). I also enjoy this in the marshes of Jersey and the average size lakes in PA (I had it in Lake Jean at Rickett's Glen). On the larger, straight bodies of water I use the skeg--which is most helpful in tracking. On the small, shallow creeks (esp. in summer) I don't use the skeg and the boat does get a little squirrelly (it's still fun!).

I don't like the cramped foot area. In fact I now regard my Carolina kayak as a "Cadillac" because I took for granted how comfy it is. But, I still find myself taking the Jolt over the Carolina because it is fun. The boat is durable. I had this in a shallow creek--about a quarter of the time I had to tow it and it came out with minor scrapes. The Jolt is on the heavy side, but I'll take that over getting my boat damaged while I'm "playing." In rougher water, the top of the boat is shaped to keep water out--nice!

I added deck rigging to the front, but the rigging in the back is useful--esp. with shaped "bottle holder" in the deck. The foot braces are easy to adjust. The hatch is easy to use. The skeg's mechanics can get in your way--I've scratched/cut my left hand a few times in a sloppy or reactive stroke. I also have had minor issues getting the skeg up & down, but at a closer glance it isn't broke--it's just "feisty". The seat is durable and comfy.

Yes, this can go in WW, but like with any hybrid, you sacrifice some necessary features to accommodate more needs. Only get this if you are going to paddle mostly in creeks, lakes and also do a little paddling in rivers & easy WW (class 2).