Submitted: 03-13-2005 by JDP

I have had my canoe about four years. It is heavy but I do it by myself. I have a pickup with a hitch extender. A long shaft out of the hitch with a T on the end. I recommend leaving the canoe right side up. Turning it over in the bed is very difficult.

I tried a trolling motor but too weak for me. I have a bracket thing that allows you to put the motor on the side. Now I am going to buy one of those little Nissan outboards like you see in Cabelas. I see that the canoe says don't go over 2.5 HP but I would like to go 3.5. Anybody got any warnings or feedback on that? Lastly, all outboards seem to come in 15 inch short shaft/transon length, and 20 inch long shaft. I need to know which to get. I read that the transom is the length from where the motor clamps on to the bottom of the boat. On my 14 it is 20 inches. Do I really need a long shaft for a canoe? Oh also. I find that a double kayak paddle works best for one guy.

Suspenz: