Submitted: 12-12-1999 by Steve

I am a Scout leader in charge of eight Coleman Ram-X 17 canoes. These canoes are 5 to 14 years in age. Being in Arizona and used by Boy And Girl scout units on outings they do get a lot of use all year round. They do get the gunwales bent and the keel poles do get kicked forward out of position. The biggest tool I have to use is a rubber mallet to tap the uprights back in place. At this time I am prepping the canoes for a 75 mile trip down the Colorado River by a boy scout troop that they do each Christmas break. The Coleman RAM-X 17 canoe can be unstable when used without any cargo on board, the seats put the center of gravity too high. I always put in a few sand bags when I teach canoeing or on a day outing paddling around a lake. The only major problem found so far is the two oldest canoes bow is worn through from landings on rocky shorelines. The kit from Coleman is good but the two part epoxy tubes are too small to attach the full bow repair part. I have tried purchasing the epoxy from the manufacturer but they will not sell it in small batches (less than 15 gallons).