Submitted: 03-02-2005 by Don

I purchased my Pungo 140 two years ago after much reading on this site and others. It is my first boat of any kind. I use it in lakes and slow moving rivers. It has far exceeded my expectations. I enjoy the solitude of paddling and sight seeing as well as exploring. So far I have not fished from it. It is very roomy and stable. I have never turned it over except intentionally in my swimming pool. My boat came with no flotation in the bow. It has a rear bulkhead. I was very surprised to find after filling it with water in my pool and trying to re-enter from the rear that the front of the boat wanted to remain submerged while I sat on the rear deck and attempted to pump the water out. Each time I would get a significant amount of the water pumped out, the boat would start rocking and take on more water. I tried this for 20 minutes or so until I was so tired I couldn’t do it anymore. Boy, am I glad I didn't turn it over in cold water a mile from shore. My point in saying all of this is that the boat must have flotation in the bow for a person of my ability to make a successful re-entry. With flotation, the boat spins upright easily and pumping the water out while sitting on the boat is very easy to do. Since the boat has a front hatch cover (presumably for storage) I did not want to render it useless by putting a float bag in the bow. Instead I installed a bulkhead in front of the foot braces so that I will have the benefit of flotation as well as the ability to stow camping gear when I need to. I really feel that the boat should come with a front bulkhead or Wilderness systems should offer a bulkhead kit. I also added a mini skirt, a paddle holder, rear deck rigging and a GPS mount.

I especially like the seat (which is very comfortable) and appreciate the extra room behind the seat, where I put a see through dry bag which contains stuff that I need to get at quickly. My boat is light blue and I have received many comments on how nice it looks in the water. I have hit lots of rocks and stumps with it so it has lots of scratches on the bottom but the performance seems unaffected. I like everything about the 140 and would give it a perfect 10 if it had come with a front bulkhead. If anyone reading this has had a 140 and found something that is superior, I would appreciate hearing from you.

New York Kayak Co.: