Submitted: 02-18-2005 by Chrystal Murray

My name is Chrystal Murray and I am a paddle-fishing guide in west central Florida.

I have been guiding out of a Prowler 13 since October and really like it. There's plenty of space in both the front hatch and tankwell. Both the cockpit and tankwell are the same size in the 13 as in the 15. Both kayaks have the same 450lb. weight capacity too.

Though the 13 only weighs two pounds less than the 15 it is much less mass of boat to lift on and off a vehicle when alone as well as easier to store. The kayak was a wedding gift from my husband. He thought it would be more suitable for me to handle by myself than the 15, and it is!

The 13 is stable enough for me to stand up on without the pontoons though I do use those for drifting the flats on windy days. It is seaworthy offshore as well and I won't hesitate to use it off the beach this season for triple digit tarpon. Both kayaks have an angled bow entry along with the built in skeg which minimizes weather cocking and so track tremendously straight when paddling against the tide coupled with wind from the side.

Because of the additional length of the 15, a charter guest who has never paddled before will always be paddling a little faster in the 15 than me by the end of the day.

BTW, the first fish out of the new kayak was a tarpon. I took that as an omen that it was meant to be mine!