Submitted: 02-16-2005 by yelvero

Iíve tried just about every fishing kayak out for 2005. I have found that a truly well design fishing kayak does not exist yet. However, a few are getting closer. I went with the Tarpon 120 due to its size and weight. I know it has been out longer and has changed little than some of the manufacturerís newer models. I guess this is saying something good about the design of the T120. Even today it is still among the best. Iíve found it so. It is easy to transport on car or SUV. It paddles as well as any of the others and better than most. It is not fast and neither are the others. It does not turn as well as I would like but neither does the others. It does turn better than most due to it length [12í]. In the past I fished from a touring kayak. I needed to get in and out easily, therefore reason to get a SOT. The T120ís stability is fine for me. I do like the quality that is inherent in the Wilderness System line. There are others than can not compare [I wonít mention them here].

The rumor mill is saying that 2006 will produce the first well designed fishing kayaks. Let hope so. Hopefully the manufacturers will now realize the tremendous market waiting for these kayaks and will start paying close attention to the kayak fisherman requirements that have here to fallen on deaf ears for so many years. Until then, try the T120.