Submitted: 12-06-1999 by B.G.

I have an R-84 Odyssey and it has proved to be an excellent choice for use on Ozark rivers and streams. We have riffle/pool conditions so a canoe needs to be efficient for stretches of flat water and still be responsive in the fast twisty sections.

I choose the R-84 version because of it's lighter weight. The canoe weighs 45 pounds and that makes it easy to handle on or off the water. I can pick it up like a suitcase and go. The R-84 is lighter and cost less but I understand the trade-off may be in durability.

The canoe is used for overnight small mouth bass fishing trips. The gear I take weighs over 100 pounds yet the canoe only draws 3" +/- of water, which is a huge advantage during low water conditions. In high water this canoe has taken 2' to 3' ledges fully loaded with no problems. It's not a classic white water boat but does perform in those conditions.

This model is narrow between the gunwales (29") which make for easier paddling than some comparable canoes. I ordered the vinyl gunwales and they help to reduce noise when fishing or coming up on wildlife. The canoe also came with a web seat that looks great and appears to be more durable than a cane seat. The seat was installed too low but that's an easy fix.

The canoe has some added accessories that include knee pads (Mohawk), webbed portage yoke that rolls up out of the way (Mohawk), webbed seat back that matches factory seat (Cabelas) and a unique stern mounted anchor system (Bass Pro).

For the way I use a canoe and considering cost, it's easy to recommend the Odyssey.