Submitted: 02-08-2005 by redmond
Ok, finally got a chance to try out Patrick's Tideline kayaks. Fit and finish were excellent, but I must admit that I'm not much of a detail person. I'm much more interested in how well it handles. The one I tried was one of his carbon models. Extremely light weight. Very nice to carry. I tried it out in Mission Bay in San Diego. Maybe 6" to 1' confused chop. Pat wanted me to try it out in the ocean, but these are the conditions I normally paddle in here in Huntsville, AL. I think he was a little disappointed since his boats are really made for big water. By the way, Iím 5í4Ē and 200 lbs.

For me initial and secondary stabilities are high. This boat was very comfortable to just sit in and look at the scenery. Maneuverable, skeg was handy. Very balanced in the wind, didnít notice any weathercocking. I was paddling about 5 mph at what I would call a quick cruising pace. Understand here Iím not a racer. Very fast for a 15í kayak. Cockpit was very comfortable.

If you go to San Diego, where Patrick has his shop, its like visiting an old friend. He and his wife are very gracious and he loves to just sit around and talk kayaks. Heís very passionate about his work and very knowledgeable. We had a good time visiting with them.