Submitted: 02-05-2005 by Bill Hines

I got my Loon 111 3 years ago. I got it for the lakes and rivers in Ohio. I do headwaters to the mouth trips and needed a kayak that could carry my camping gear, take a beating, be maneuverable enough to get around the strainers on some of the Class II streams, and move at a good pace. Ive found that it would ship a little water from the sides in the more challenging water but I got a skirt to fix that. Im 64 210 and its a great fit. With the sliding seat I can balance my load easily. I put shock cord on the front and have a cord attached from my handles to keep them from dragging. I have the older seat without padding so I use 2 closed-cell foam stadium seat pads. These will keep me comfortable on a 12 plus hour paddle. The 111 has an added advantage in that when Im out with my wife and shes fishing I can push the seat back, rearrange my seat cushions and stretch out and take a nap inside. I use 2 heavy clips with a cord between and just clip to a tree limb and to the cockpit rim during naps. I have used my Loon to annoy alligators in Apalachicola and in the choppy waters of Pamlico Sound and it has performed well. With hundreds of miles on it without ever disappointing me, I would give it a 10 out of 10.