Submitted: 02-02-2005 by starrfish

I purchased this boat several years ago, and have paddled it in many conditions, and it performed well in all of them.

I'm 5'9 and weigh between 160-180lbs. I have adjusted the seat all the way forward to accommodate my height, and have my thighs fit the thigh braces correctly. I would not recommend this boat for paddlers under 5'9".

I have only truly needed the rudder on a handful of occasions in high wind or strong tide flow situations. All boats weathercock a rudder is NOT substitute for good paddling technique.

I took my boat for a 4 day solo camping trip to Assateague MD. I had plenty of room for my gear for 4 days which included sleeping bag, tent, sleep pad (stowed in a dry bag on rear deck) and enough fresh water for 4 days (close to 2 gal per day, no fresh water in remote area), several Duraflame logs (limited wood on island) and other standard camping gear. On a side note the boat does track much truer under heavy loads, but it sacrifices the maneuverability of this nimble boat.

In large chop it is a wet ride but, kayaking is a "water sport".

I have paddled this boat in comparison with larger and smaller boats. It keeps up speed with the big boys (18') and maneuvers as well as many of the smaller boats (14'). I can easily turn this boat in its own length.

Stability is solid, for both primary and secondary. I can say now that I have several years in this boat I would trade some primary stability for a little more ease in edging this boat on some days. I do also fish (sometimes with a fly rod) from this boat and on those days I appreciate the primary stability.

The seat is the most comfortable I have found and reduces the fatigue I have felt on long trips in other boats.

Overall I love this boat, and I was disappointed that perception discontinued this great boat. If you are in the market for a quick, maneuverable, sea kayak capable of handling a wide range of water from rivers to lakes and out into bays and coastal ocean conditions this is a good choice for the medium to large paddler. Now that the boat is out of production you will probably be able to find a good deal on this boat on the used market.