Submitted: 02-01-2005 by wildernesswebb
I tried a Zaveral for the first time in summer '03 (thanks McWood) and thought there was no way a paddle that feels like a wiffle ball bat could stand up to the paddling I do. It felt so good in my hands, though, that I soon bought a "Blem" Rec model to use on flat, deep water paddling. I found the more I used the paddle, the harder it was to put down! I also soon found that, contrary to popular belief, J-strokes and river paddling with a bent shaft are not only possible, but easily mastered with this paddle. Also this paddle, while ultra-light, does NOT have to be "Babied." When I forgot my heavy, wide paddle for the upper Buffalo last spring(class I-II and very rocky run), I went ahead and tentatively used this paddle since it had more "Bite" than the others I had with me. The more rocks I "Banged," the more impressed I was with this little paddle. After that, I no longer hesitated to use it in shallow, rocky water, and on our twisty, boney Ozark rivers. I now have two "Blem" Zaveral Rec paddles, and feel the only way to improve a Zaveral would be to lower the price! This is the first time I've rated any product a "10," but then, I've never owned a product more deserving of such a rating.