Submitted: 01-25-2005 by Moll, B

Absolutely wonderful boat to paddle. When it came into the shop I work at, I saw the 24 inch beam, and after before saying I would never go back to anything with more than 22, my first though was that this was an old man boat. Boy was I wrong however, as this is one of the finest performance sea kayaks I have ever paddled. I use mine for teaching (mostly kids) and it is very well suited for that purpose. It is very easy and forgiving to edge, and on edge can just about spin around inside its own length. It is also an easy boat to roll, it was in fact the first boat I got a dependable roll in. As for speed it definitely isnt what my Arctic was, but it goes along well enough. In a heavy sea the Orion is a blast to paddle. The fine narrow ends cut through waves, and the boat surfs quite well. I did one trip in it this past summer and was able to carry all of my gear, water, and food, as well as some of my comrades stuff.

Overall just an awesome boat, I got mine in carbon/kevlar all white. The layup is perfect, no bubbles or rough edges. On the outside the gel coat is flawless, no chips/cracks at all. It is still a bit heavy at 50 pounds, but itís as close to bullet proof as you would want it to be. The hatches stayed dry through everything I've done, and the spare paddle recess fits all of my paddles fine.

Favorite boat, definitely.